Assistant Professor in cosmology and machine learning
The Department of physics invites applications for the full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of assistant professor in cosmology and machine learning.
The appointed candidate will be expected to teach at all three levels of the curriculum, supervise graduate students, be active in research, publishing, and knowledge dissemination, and contribute to the academic and administrative life of the University.
- Ph. D in physics;
- A record of outstanding research achievements;
- A strong commitment to teaching at all levels;
- The appointed candidate will be expected to pursue a vigorous research program in cosmology and machine learning. Candidates from all fields of cosmology are encouraged to apply. However, priority will be given to candidates with research interests in the fields of numerical or observational cosmology, machine learning, statistical determination methods, determination of cosmological parameters and the study of large-scale structures.
- An adequate knowledge of the French written and spoken language or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance to Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
The application file should contain the following documents:
- A cover letter; the application must include in the cover letter one of the following statements: “I am a citizen/ permanent resident of Canada.” Or “I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.”;
- Your curriculum vitae.
- Copies of recent publications or research papers;
- YA presentation of your research program;
- Three letters of recommendation are also to be sent directly to the department chair by the referees.
Application file and letters of recommendation must be sent by email before November 26th, 2021 to:
Mrs Nicole St-Louis, Chair
Head, Department of Physics
c/o Mrs. Diane Choinière
Phone: 514-343-6932 <
Additional information about the position
Until November 26, 2021, inclusively
Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and
On or after June 1st, 2022
Université de Montréal is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Through its Equal Access Employment Program (EAEP), UdeM invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, visible and ethnic minorities, as well as persons with disabilities. We will –confidentially – adapt our recruitment mechanisms to the specific needs of people with disabilities who request it.
UdeM embraces a broad and inclusive definition of diversity that goes beyond applicable laws, and therefore encourages all qualified individuals to apply, regardless of their characteristics. However, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.
In order to measure the impact of its equity, diversity and inclusion actions, UdeM is collecting data on applicants identifying themselves with one of the groups targeted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, namely women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, ethnic minorities and people with limitations. To this end, we thank you for completing this self-identification questionnaire. The information you provide through this form is strictly confidential and will be shared only with those responsible for the UdeM EAEP. If you wish, you may also indicate that you belong to one of the targeted groups in your cover letter, which will be reviewed by the selection committee and the assembly of peers.
Université de Montréal’s application process allows all members of the Professor’s Assembly to review the application files submitted. If you wish to keep your application confidential until the shortlist is established, please mention it in your application