Associate or Full Professor in Innovative Materials and Processes
The Department of physics invites applications for a full-time faculty position at the rank of Associate or Full Professor in Innovative Materials and Processes.
This faculty position is tied to the 2022 Canada Excellence Research Chair (CERC) program and will only be filled by candidates who are awarded a CERC. The yearly allocation for the institution is $5M. Under this program, Chairholders will be awarded either $500,000 or $1 million per year for a period of 8 years. The level of research funding will be established in function of the demonstrated needs of the research program. The successful candidate will be called upon to collaborate on the Chair application until its submission in September 2022.
The successful candidate will hold the CERC. As such, he or she will be responsible for ensuring the success of the CERC by conducting and promoting research locally and internationally. He or she will be expected to foster collaborations with researchers within the University, but also with other talents in the field, both in Canada and abroad. The CERC Chair is expected to teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels, supervise graduate students, and contribute to the activities of the institution.
- Be eligible to receive a CERC, which includes but is not limited to :
- a completed PhD;
- a minimum of 7 years of experience as a professor in a university
- hold a professorship outside of Canada at the time of posting;
- a research record that includes significant publications in one of the sectors of excellence at the Université de Montréal;
- Pursue a high-level research program in the design, synthesis and fabrication or characterization of new materials and processes
- Demonstrated ability to provide high quality university teaching
- An adequate knowledge of the French written and spoken language or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance to Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
The application file sent to the Department Chair should contain the following documents:
- A cover letter; application must include in the cover letter one of the following statements: “I am a citizen/ permanent resident of Canada.” or “I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.”
- a research statement for a CERC (approximately one page)
- Your curriculum vitae.
- recent publications or research papers;
- A list of three people who could be asked to supply a letter of recommendation if need be. These letters will be requested by the Chair of the department and should be sent directly by the referees.
Application file and letters of recommendation must be sent by email no later than May 1st 2022 to:
Mrs Nicole St-Louis, Chair
Head, Department of Physics
Additional information about the position
From March 31th to May 1st, 2022, inclusively
Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and
No later than 12 months after the Chair is awarded
Université de Montréal is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Through its Equal Access Employment Program (EAEP), UdeM invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, visible and ethnic minorities, as well as persons with disabilities. We will –confidentially – adapt our recruitment mechanisms to the specific needs of people with disabilities who request it.
UdeM embraces a broad and inclusive definition of diversity that goes beyond applicable laws, and therefore encourages all qualified individuals to apply, regardless of their characteristics. However, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.
In order to measure the impact of its equity, diversity and inclusion actions, UdeM is collecting data on applicants identifying themselves with one of the groups targeted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, namely women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, ethnic minorities and people with limitations. To this end, we thank you for completing this self-identification questionnaire. The information you provide through this form is strictly confidential and will be shared only with those responsible for the UdeM EAEP. If you wish, you may also indicate that you belong to one of the targeted groups in your cover letter, which will be reviewed by the selection committee and the assembly of peers.
Université de Montréal’s application process allows all members of the Professor’s Assembly to review the application files submitted. If you wish to keep your application confidential until the shortlist is established, please mention it in your application